Monday, September 29, 2008

Seattle Bus Stories.... the saga continues...

Thursday, September 25, 2008 and I've missed the #56 by 2 minutes. Damn those West Seattle routes for being perfectly on time. Oh well, I've got a couple of good mags to keep me company until the next #56 in about 28 mins. Ah, yes, my October issues of Better Homes and Gardens and Domino will suit me just fine.


Wait, what is this.... an odd looking stranger strolls up and asks if he can sit by me at the stop (it's raining, so i say yes). He is dressed in very loose fitting khakis, a tucked in button up shirt, beat up leather jacket, and some seriously exotic-skin boots. Crocodile Dundee territory here....

He proceeds to ask me if I want to see "something weird".... ok, I look up from my BH&G, with a most sarcastic look on my face. Come to my surprise he only wants to show me screenshots of fur coats he is selling on eBay and Craisglist - totally not weird at all I am telling myslf.... Righto ML!!!


Ok, while I am convincing myself I am not sharing a bus stop with a serial killer, I am also reading a serious Sarah Palin prophecy email from my friend Christina on my phone (yes, my attempt at texting/ignoring is not working). I'm totally into it for like the 30 seconds the Stranger leaves me alone. But then he goes off on a 8 minute rant about a recent local traffic accident, the 20-cent grocery bag tax (no weirdo, ML didn't vote for this since it was a strictly city council vote), and various other topics I could not comprehend.

The chatter died down with about 10 mins left until our bus. Ah, but the best was yet to come. BAM!! Just when I wasn't expecting it, he came at me with a pic and a "Guess what this is?" question.... Wow.... where do I go... It was the weirdest thing...so I say "Uh, petrified wood!?

NOOO... Much to my Oh So Fascinated surprise he declares it is a 38 Million Year old peice of coral from the Florida Keys that he bought from a collector in Kirkland!! Wow! And apparently there is a market for this stuff and he is underselling himself at $400/ per peice.

Wow, just when I thought I could return to my BH&G, out pops the SAID super ancient piece of coral - he keeps it in is jacket!! I told him "Well, clearly in the market of very ancient coral, you are lowballing on that price!". God Almighty where is this bus...

Oh man.... where is this # 56... I'm now treading into Ed Gein terriority (don't know Ed Gein? Look it up...). Whew, the #56 shows up early saving my ass from either potential phyical pain or potential mental tortue -not sure based on this which is worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's fascinating.